Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Only Eat Schwarma at Chima's If...

...you want to be spoiled for life and never eat schwarma anywhere else ever again.

Summer is a time of celebration for the Dotan family.

I was in the neighborhood of Sh'arei HaIr today. So, I went into Chima, the new meat restaurant to check out the place. I was attracted by the variety of steaks and lamb they advertise, as that's what I enjoy, but they have many meat items on the menu to suit just about every ethnic taste.

I went in and said: I have a few reasons to celebrate coming up soon. So, I came to check out your restaurant.

The salad selection was absolutely fantastic - fresh, aesthetically pleasing and, unusual for Israel, original.

There are tables as well as a food bar.

The two plasma screens were kept low. I didn't find them at all intrusive. I even enjoyed a video of Rita as it was at a volume that would have allowed for easy conversation. As I'm not accustomed to watching TV, I'm usually sensitive to plasma screen interference.

I asked if they have a fish dish because I can get fish into Daniel a few times a year, but meat is totally out of the question.

Very politely, they said they don't, just meat.

I thanked them and explained that my Husband doesn't eat meat and I'll have to ask him if we go out if he'll be satisfied with a totally veggie dinner, which one can certainly make there from the salads, bread and side dishes easily.

I told them I'd ask my Husband about it.

As I was walking out the owner said:
.שיהיה לך במזל טוב. זה העיקר

It should be for luck and at an auspicious time for you. That's the important thing.


My eyes welled up with tears. As someone who grew up in the US, I'm still moved profoundly by the very many people in this country who consider someone else's welfare and happiness the most important thing, even if they lose business.

After I schlepped around a bit, I went back into Chima's and ordered schwarma. I figured, even if Daniel doesn't agree to go there for a formal sit-down dinner, at least I'll buy this from them.

The salads were beautiful. Their techina is rich and thick with fresh parsley decorating it. You couldn't get techina like that out of a squeeze bottle of you tried. Chima's techina is strictly for dolloping.

I took one bite of the schwarma and said: WOW! *This* is schwarma!

I have never, but never, had schwarma that remotely compares to Chima's.

I told them so as I was paying and they were so delighted and appreciative to receive a compliment for the obvious labor of love they put into that restaurant.

I told them: If this is what your schwarma is like, I can only imagine your steak.

I hope I can convince Daniel to go there with me. I sure would like to try their steak or lamb.

D2

  And the Peace Goes On with God's Blessings