Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Gam Zu L'Tova

Two days ago, I came across the following video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnnOOo6tRs8&feature=related

Yesterday, as I was walking home; I saw that around the kever of Nachum Gam Zu a beautiful new stained glass enclosure has been built. There is a beautiful high-quality wood roof over it, and an expensive sign announcing to the world that this beautiful home has been built for the Tanna, Rabbi Nachum Ish Gam Zu.

One Chassid was up on a ladder putting on the following touches of paint. Another stood back watching the work.

I approached them and said: Do you think you are making Gam Zu happy building a luxurious home for him while most people can't afford a house anywhere near this luxurious and some have no homes at all? If you want to do a mitzvah, build a house for the living.

The man painting didn't so much as acknowledge my presence. About Jews like that the Prophet Yeshayhu was instructed by HaShem to say in the 65th Chapter of his Book:
"5 That say: 'Stand by thyself, come not near to me, for I am holier than thou'; these are a smoke in My nose, a fire that burneth all the day. "

The other one was on a bit of a higher level. He rolled his eyes and shrugged his shoulders as if to say: "You're right, but what can one do?" That's already a madreiga in our generation.

Wouldn't it be nice if I'd just shut up and go away so that you can peacefully go about the business of turning a blind eye to the living homeless and renovate graves all the while thinking that what you're doing has something to do with Judaism?

Nothing doing.

Doreen <>

  And the Peace Goes On with God's Blessings