Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Shetz Food – Not Your Average Israeli Sandwich Place

The most original idea in quick eating restaurants to come along in Tzfat is located in Tzfat's "downtown".

I bet you haven't had really good, I mean fantastically good, melt-in-your-mouth roast beef since you started keeping kosher. If you've kept kosher all your life you probably don't know what roast beef can be. Well, it is to be had. It's closer than you think. It's right here in Tzfat, the Dubek shopping center in the south of Tzfat, above Supersol and next to the Sakal electric appliances store.

Our first experience with Shetz Food was not as an eatery per se.
My husband went there and asked if they sell take-away food for Shabbat. The owner, Yaniv Shetzki, said they most certainly do. His 'can do' attitude was most appreciated. My husband brought home the St. Peter's Fish that Yaniv prepares. It was outstanding - piquant without being too spicy hot. It was covered with perfectly cooked sweet peppers and tender.

Yaniv's many suuper-fresh and tempting salads are on sale by weight for those who wish to buy them and eat them at home.

The next week, my husband went back and asked about side dishes. Yaniv said that they prepare couscous every day, but if one wants food for Shabbat it's a good idea to call before 16:00 on the Thursday before.

I dropped by to thank Yaniv for the delicious fish and to assure him that we would most definitely like to try their couscous the following Shabbat (meaning this coming week, we're anticipating it).

My attention was attracted by two things immediately. First, although the Kashrut certificate is from the Rabbinut of Tzfat; there were a number of Charedi customers in the restaurant when I arrived. The young man at the front counter, in fact, is Charedi.

Second, the deli caught my eye. The meats and the salads all looked incredibly fresh and tempting. I asked about one of the cold cuts for a sandwich, but Yaniv suggested his roast beef. Frankly, I've been disappointed with Kosher roast beef in Israel before and didn't get too excited. Then he showed me the roast beef. It was rare, and obviously succulent. I "went for it". He asked me which kind of salads I wanted on the sandwich and suggested a marvelous dressing that is the house special. He told me that toasted the sandwich is something else. He was right. After a couple of minutes in the toaster I received a warm sandwich that was unlike any other I have ever tasted. I don't believe that I have ever enjoyed a sandwich in Israel that much. The sandwich was served with two salads on the side. One was a raw vegetable salad, the other was a cooked eggplant salad that I mentioned looked particularly good and a mixed cooked salad of red, yellow and green peppers.

Another client in the restaurant ordered French fries with his frankfurters. They were perfectly, but perfectly, prepared. I had to restrain myself not to order them.

Yaniv's advertisement in Hebrew says that he offers: a selection of cold cuts and meats, omelets, home-made humus, grilled breast of chicken (which can be had in a salad as well), schnitzel, hot dogs, sabiah and a wide selection of salads, which are enhanced by Yaniv's special dressings. Additionally, the ad promises a special of the day every day.

Shetz Food is the kind of place that one can become a regular in and never get bored. The selection of delicacies just goes on and on.

There is a parve coffee bar at Shetz food and a selection of cold drinks as well.

This restaurant is going to be a hit. There is plenty of room for them to expand into and for tables to be placed outside the restaurant. They're going to need that space as people discover Shetz Food. I believe they are going to make a major contribution to the business base of the southern part of Tzfat. The atmosphere is homey as Yaniv's slogan promises, and the food, while simple, is one-of-a-kind. As there is a great deal of parking in the area and the inside of the mall is decorated nicely, people will, no doubt, drive down to the "downtown" of Tzfat for a great sandwich or terrific take-away.

The catering that he provides is a real boon. I, for one, could not prepare a comparable meal without a good deal of work and not much less expense.

The prices are very reasonable at Shetz Food.

You can reach Yaniv at 077-9155570.

The exact address is: Weitzman Street #20, Dubek Shopping Center, Tzfat

Doreen Ellen Bell-Dotan, Tzfat, Israel

  And the Peace Goes On with God's Blessings